The beach-front community of Safety Beach is nestled between Mount Martha and Dromana on Melbourne’s beautiful Mornington Peninsula.
Safety Beach takes its name from the calm and shallow waters of Dromana Bay, which makes it an ideal spot for children. There is a small jetty on the coast, while the coastal road of Marina Drive separates housing and commercial areas from the foreshore and the beach. Safety Beach is a particularly scenic spot, with views to the peak of Mount Martha in the north and to Arthurs Seat in the south.
Safety Beach Sailing Club Formed in 1967. Safety Beach Sailing Club has hosted many State and National titles and SBSC sailors are recognized by the sailing community for their excellence in sailing with success at regattas and at State, National and International level.
Currently under construction in Safety Beach is the Martha Cove Development. Up-market residential properties, commercial outlets and a 600 berth marina are being built around the large network of man-made inland channels. One of the striking features of the marina development is the tunnelling of the coastal road of Marine Parade under the canal linking the marina with Port Phillip, in order to allow yachts and water craft of any height to enter the development.
The Safety Beach Country Club is a resort-style golf course that surrounds a residential estate in the east. Landscaped to a tropical theme, the 18 hole course features a restaurant, tennis courts, palm trees and several lakes.
Enquire today on how Seachange Property can assist you with your Safety Beach property.
Safety Beach was originally named ‘Shark Bay’, but underwent a name change to attract tourist trade to the peninsula. In 1841, Hugh Jamieson purchased 5,120 acres, of land from the Crown for $1 an acre under the terms of the short-lived Special Survey regulations. The purchase included all of the present suburb of Safety Beach. The area is known as Jamieson’s Special Survey in cadastral surveys.The survey extended east as far as Bulldog Creek Rd.
Henry Dunn had leased the Survey from 1846 until 1851 and was succeeded by tenants such as the Griffith, Eaton, Peatey, McLear, Clydesdale, Wilson, Cottier and Gibson families, which were involved with the History of Dromana. Edward Louis Tassell leased the northern 1,000 acres for some time near the creek that is named after him.
Big Clarke later owned the survey, and sold the northern 1000 or so acres to John Vans Agnew Bruce. Maria Stenniken, who married Godfrey Burdett Wilson, used to work at Bruce’s house as a servant during the summer. At the eastern end of the Survey, many of the pioneers worked at goldmining for Bernard Eaton.